Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

Not sure this is the right tab under "family law" or if I need

Not sure this is the right tab under "family law" or if I need to ask under the "legal" tab. Question: My wife (of 18 years) and I were having marital problems, she found out that she was getting an inheritance from an aunt. We are now not living together, but have not filed for divorce, and now I believe she has gotten a partial payment, but expected to receive the rest at the first of the year. Roughly 100,000+. I am wondering if that is anything I might be partially entitled too, or not. We live in Oregon
Hello friend. My name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

You are in the right category (family law).

I am sorry to hear about your situation. On this website, I do not always get to give good news, and I am afraid that this is one of these times.

Inheritance is considered separate property in Oregon since 1/1/2012, when Bill SB386 was passed into law.

As such, unless she is willing to sign an agreement that allows you to get part of the inheritance, it remains hers. I am very sorry.

Please note: I aim to give you genuine information and not necessarily to tell you only what you wish to hear. Please, rate me on the quality of my information and do not punish me for my honesty. I understand that hearing things less than optimal is not easy, and I empathize.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. (You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No worries, I figured that would be my luck...just thought I check just in case the answer was different.

You are very welcome. Good luck, and please don't forget to rate my answer in one of top three faces and then SUBMIT – it is the only way I get credit for my time with you – or, please REPLY to keep on chatting – I want you to be satisfied.