Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters

in massachusetts, what age or other factors determine a minor

in massachusetts, what age or other factors determine a minor childs emancipation as defined in GL chapter 28, section 28 , related to child support payments stopping?

Kirk Adams : Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Family Law litigation attorney. Thanks for your question. I'll be glad to assist.
Kirk Adams : Under Mass. law, the duty to provide child support is usually discontinued at age 18, BUT the court may order a parent to pay support until the child turns 21 if the child lives with the parent receiving child support and depends on that parent for support. If the dependent is enrolled in school/college, the order may be extended until the age of 23. (A court may also order that child support continue indefinitely for a child with disability.)
Kirk Adams : Thus, when support ends is a very fact-specific issue and depends on what exactly the child's circumstances are.
Customer: so if mine is 22, graduated undergrad and is now in grad school, does that mean it is 23?
Kirk Adams : Probably so. If the child is in school and is not self-supporting, it's likely that you'll be on the hook until age 23.
Kirk Adams : Thanks for allowing me to assist, and if you need anything further, please don't hesitate to ask.