How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 30868
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

nj child support

This answer was rated:


My husband was taken to court in June by his daughters mother to make him pay for her Masters degree college tuition. We went to court and the judge was inclined to deny the daughter's mothers request until she mentioned that the circumstances were the same as ross vs ross. We cannot find any info on this case for comparison. the judge stated that the ross vs ross was a unique case and needed time to review. we just received a letter stating to provide financial income in order for the judge to make a decision. we cannot afford to continue paying for the daughters college degree as we have 2 others who will be entering college and we have already paid for the daughters bachelors degree. we need to be clear on the laws in nj and we need a reasonable lwayer for atlantic county nj.

I am sorry, but because this site is independent and wants to maintain its integrity in providing honest, unbiased information to customers, professionals cannot represent anyone from this site or make personal referrals.

To find a lawyer, please contact your State Bar Association's Legal Referral Service at This is the same place where lawyers themselves go when they need to consult with an attorney from another state.

If you'd like any other information from our legal professionals, please let me know and I will search for one for you. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok thanks

I provided details regarding the case. Please advise on what the outcome might be.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX continue to look for a professional to assist you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance while you wait.

Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Family Law litigation attorney. Are you still seeking assistance with this question? If so, I'll be glad to assist. Just let me know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes Kirk


Please assist.


Thank you


Cecile Brown

The Ross v. Ross, 400 A.2d 1233 (NJ Superior Ct. 1979) is outlined below:

Plaintiff mother moved to compel defendant father to continue support payments until their child completed law school. The court found that the child was not considered emancipated until such time as her law school training ended, either through voluntary or involuntary withdrawal or upon graduation. Defendant's obligation to pay child support maintained through that law school period. The court also found that defendant's obligation for support, which normally would have continued right through the child's college graduation, was retroactive as to the time in which the child's law school training probably got under way.

The court held that defendant father was responsible to continue paying support payments to plaintiff mother for the law school education of their daughter until the law school training ended. The applied the order retroactively and held that the obligation started when the child's law school training got underway.

The relevant LEGAL THEORIES/RULES OF LAW from this case are:

1. There is no age fixed in the law when a child becomes emancipated.

2. The various factors that have to be considered in determining whether or not child support should be continued are the amount of support or school cost sought; the ability of the noncustodial parent to pay that cost, and its relation to the type of schooling sought; the financial position of the custodial parent; the commitment and aptitude of the child to the schooling in question; the child's relationship to the noncustodial paying parent; the relationship of the schooling in question to any prior training and, generally, the relationship to the overall, long-range goals of the child.

This is the standard that the other side is likely arguing as to why support should be continued.
Roger, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 30868
Experience: BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Roger and 12 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan
< Previous | Next >
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL

Meet The Experts:

  • Ely


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
< Last | Next >
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • LawTalk's Avatar


    Attorney and Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, 17 years legal experience including family law
  • P. Simmons's Avatar

    P. Simmons


    Satisfied Customers:

    16 yrs. of experience including family law.
  • Barrister's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney with 15 years experience
  • AttorneyTom's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:


Related Family Law Questions