RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
18284290

KY is an "at will" employment state. I was terminated for transacting

KY is an "at will" employment state. I was terminated for transacting on a family member's account. The family member was my mother's step father. My biological grandmother passed away 4 years ago. Is my "step grandfather" still considered an immediate family member since my grandmother's death and could I challenge this termination?
Thank you for your question.

There is no law defining what an immediate family member is in this situation, so it would really come down to your employer's definition, although a dictionary definition of immediate family does include grandparents and step members of a family.

However, whether your employer defines it or not isn't relevant, because as an "at will" employee, you can be terminated for any reason at any time, or no reason at all, so long as it isn't an unlawful reason (e.g., discrimination based on your race, age, sex, disability or national origin). Thus, your employer can be completely wrong in their basis for terminating you -it doesn't matter. You can be terminated because it rained, it's too hot, because of the color of your car, the shoes you wore, etc. An employer doesn't even have to give you a reason.

Unless you believe you were terminated for an unlawful reason, unfortunately, you cannot challenge the termination from a legal standpoint. Certainly you could go above your supervisor and plead your case, so to speak - but they are not under an obligation to hire you back.