S. Huband, Esq.
S. Huband, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Experienced, and knowledgeable family law attorney.

i live in chesapeake va my question is is there such a

i live in chesapeake va my question is is there such a thing as anilment of a marraige here in chesapeake.

shuband :

Thank you for the opportunity to assist you. The answer is yes, annulment of marriage is permitted under Virginia Code 20-89.1. An annulment is granted when a marriage is void or voidable, i.e. unlawful, from the beginning. It is NOT granted when people become unhappy with each other.

my problem is we have not consumated our marraige. i have not slept with her since our marraige norhave i ever had sex with her at any time she would rather sleep with her girl friends

shuband :

When did the marriage take place?

19 october 2012

shuband :

Unfortunately, consummation is not required under modern law, only under common law. (The "old" English version of our laws.) So this would not be a grounds for annulment.

i guess there is not much a foolish 86 year old man like me can do i thought i could help her out medicallly by helping her with my pension benifits which i have. thanks you guys anyway

shuband :

I'm sorry. Don't be so hard on yourself. While you may not be able to annul, you could always divorce. It would probably be fairly straight forward if your finances are not co-mingled, you haven't bought property together, etc.

shuband :

I hope my response has been helpful. If you have follow-up questions or concerns on this topic, please ask. Otherwise, please rate my answer positively so that I can receive credit for my work. Doing so will NOT cost you any additional fee.

Take care,

I was notified that you rated the answer I gave positively and that you generously applied a bonus payment for my efforts. Thank you so much. I am very pleased and gratified that I was able to help you. I sincerely hope the matter(s) we discussed turn out well for you.

Please ask for me in the future if you have additional questions or concerns. Again, thank you very much for the opportunity to assist you.

Take care,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i already gave you a rating

Yes. My most recent message was to thank you for taking the time to rate my service.

Best wishes,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you for your assistance i really appreaciate it your friend john

You're so welcome. Best wishes!