originallawyer
originallawyer, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  9+ years of experience in divorce, custody battles and mediation.
74576488

Hi: I was divorced about two years ago, and receive apportion

Hi: I was divorced about two years ago, and receive apportion of my x-husbands pension.
He was recently placed in a nursing home and I understand that they want my portion of his pension. His finances are a mess. The homes we owned is now in the process of being
reprocessed and my name is XXXXX XXXXX the title.
At the divorce the judge pass a decree that I was not responsible for any of his debits.
Can the nursing Home come after my part of his pension.
They shouldn't be able to, if the pension plan was divided upon your divorce. If you have a Qualified Domestic Relations Order (QDRO) granting you the portion of his pension, then you should forward that on to the nursing home, and or the Medicare/Medicaid authorities trying to take your portion of the pension.

You also might speak to the plan manager for his pension to see if you can receive the disbursement of that pension into your own account.

While a Judge can say that you are not responsible for any of his debts, you should still get your name off the title of the home, because even though there is a court order, creditors can still pursue you and a repossession can still go on your credit.