originallawyer, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  7+ years of experience in divorce, custody battles and mediation.

My 53 year old husband has type 2 diabetes and hypertension,

My 53 year old husband has type 2 diabetes and hypertension, has had it for the 10 years. He refuses to treat it. He knows he is a time bomb and has given up wanting to live long healthy life. What can I do legally to force him to get treatment.
I am sorry to hear about your husband's desire to not treat his condition. I can only imagine the effect that has on you.

Unfortunately, unless you can get him declared mentally incapable of caring for himself by both a doctor and a Judge, and gain guardianship over him, there isn't anything legally you can do to force him into treatment.

His wish to not take treatment or take care of himself doesn't legally constitute him not being able to care for himself. He would only be considered mentally incapable if he had lost the faculties to make decisions. Right now, it sounds like he is possessed of all his faculties, he's just not making a good decision for himself or for you.