How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask RobertJDFL Your Own Question

RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 10858
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
RobertJDFL is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello!My name isXXXXX am in a messy relationship with a

Resolved Question:

Hello!My name isXXXXX am in a messy relationship with a guy who is alcoholic. Well at first I didn't know that. Well at the first year of this relationship he received a third DUI. At that point we were just trying to live together. (2006). 2007 he rented an appartment close to his work and went to jail for 2 months at the end of 2007. He lived back with me from 2008 to 2012-July, when I made him leave.
After being convicted of felony i have spent about $20,000 on his expenses, I was paying my mortgages and all the utility bills, car and gas. I have driven him around to probation, counseling, to his parents and back, to look for job. I have actually found him a job with a friend of mine, which he refused to take. He was drinking quite a lot while staying at my palce, being depressed and all, while I had to work 16 + hours many days.
His family wasn't helping a lot. once i mentioned that and his mom said that yes it's true, but that didn't change. I tried to make him leave but he refused, since,his living at that point at his parents' house father has Altzheimer and they couldn't be near each other too long. His mother also refused to come and get him on several occasions. I let it go for a while and even for about 6-7 months became a caregiver to his father until they put him in a nursing home. My, so called boyfriend, promised he would help, which never happend.
Finally, I was totally burned, unhappy, lost a lot of opportunities I raised hell and I threw him out. It took a while and we fought- once he pushed me back and something cracked in my lower back. .
This past 2-3 years my friend was entitled to get a driving permit and I after many sloppy attempts, his mother paid a lawyers. they advised him to have someone with own business get his vehicle, add it to their company assets and hire him. Since, he couldn't find anyone, he finally started asking me. After a while I agreed to become a sole owner of a business in his line of work and now I possess his two vans. I gave him a letter /offer of emloyment as my subcontractor and he got his driving permit( 2 months ago)
All of these years I woked nights at one job, during the day- cleaned houses mostly. Last year I finally managed to find time to get a substitue teacher certificate and started subbing occasionally. I slept 3-5 hours a day trying to pay bills and credit cards. I got myself in a really bad shape.
From my phisical jobs my back started hurting, my scitic nerve gor inflammated and I was in a lot of pain. Since I don['t have insurance, I waited for good 6 month before seeking help.
Finally, last month it turned out that i have a broken part on 5-th vertebrae and I have to stop doing some of the jobs I am doing - house cleaning
Now I want that not helping family to return some of my money ($10,000) so I can take care of myself for a while, but they refused, although his mother has taken a second mortgage in the past and has it hidden in our country's bank. I threaten them with a law suit, and they responed - sue us, you wont get anything.
What are my chances in a law suit?Is actually my so-called biyfriend is entitled to some of my assets - here i have only liabilities, in my country I have some land and 1.5 condos?
I sorry for the long letter, but the situation is really messy and I was trying to explain better...

Thank you in advance for your help!
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

I'll be honest - unless there was some type of legal agreement between you and this person where the money you spent on them he agreed to pay back, it is merely seen as a gift, and a court would not award you anything. While he isn't entitled to any other of your assets (you weren't married, so this isn't a situation where the court is going to make you divide marital assets), there is no legal basis for you to seek repayment of the money you gifted him.

And, even if by some chance a court were to award you money, all you would get is a court ordered judgement against them that says they owe you _____ amount. It doesn't mean they would pay, and you would likely spend a lot of time and more money trying to collect.

I am sorry I could not tell you otherwise.
RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 10858
Experience: Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
RobertJDFL and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan
< Previous | Next >
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL

Meet The Experts:

  • Ely

    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
< Last | Next >
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
  • LawTalk's Avatar


    Attorney and Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, 17 years legal experience including family law
  • Brandon M.'s Avatar

    Brandon M.

    Family Law Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney experienced in all aspects of family law
  • Barrister's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney with 15 years experience
  • AttorneyTom's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers: