Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 15 years experience
19958803

In Iowa if my wife has went to jail for domestic violence against

In Iowa if my wife has went to jail for domestic violence against me does she still have a right to part of my pension in the divorce?
Hello and welcome! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.

.

Yes, any domestic violence conviction would be a criminal offense and would not have any direct effect on the civil division of assets when a divorce occurs. If a pension was earned during the course of the marriage it is considered a marital asset and is subject to division in a divorce.
.
However, since Iowa is not a community property state, the judge has the discretion to divide assets as he sees fit and according to what he feels is fair. So indirectly, the domestic violence conviction could come into play if the judge assigned more fault to her for the marriage deteriorating.
.
.
Thanks