FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
9540344

My fiance is currently going through a divorce. Once the divorce

My fiance is currently going through a divorce. Once the divorce is final, he will have to pay $1000+ in child support for 3 minor children.

Once we are married, will his ex wife be able to get even more child support based on our joint income or will it remain the same?
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good afternoon. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. If the non-custodial parent marries again, the court will usually not look at the new spouse's income. However, there are some exceptions. The court will consider a new spouse's income if one of the following occurs:

(1) The parent paying the child support claims that s/he is unable to pay because of debts.

(2) "Voluntary Impoverishment" - The court may look at a new spouse's income if the custodial parent claims that the parent who owes the support has left a job voluntarily in order to avoid paying child support.

(3) There is a claim that the parent paying child support is hiding assets.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above, prior to rating me. Also, please remember to rate my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two faces/stars on the left, please STOP and reply to me via the "REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE CONVERSATION "button. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.