Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

My Ex Husband and I currently have joint custody. He moved

My Ex Husband and I currently have joint custody. He moved away to Washington in April 2013 without providing me with address. I have filed a modification of the custody requesting sole custody. Now he is requesting the same. What is at that i can expect and what are the possible outcomes.
Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. Kindly use CONTINUE or REPLY button to ask for clarification or follow-up questions.

Could you explain a little more?

Who has physical custody of the child at this time?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have the physical custody.

Thank you for the information.

Your initial post:

My Ex Husband and I currently have joint custody. He moved away to Washington in April 2013 without providing me with address. I have filed a modification of the custody requesting sole custody. Now he is requesting the same. What is at that i can expect

Response 1: The Court would make a ruling for sole physical custody because joint physical custody is no longer feasible since both parents are no longer in the same state. The Court would also set different visitation schedules and also hopefully rule on who is going to be responsible for the cost of visitation (travel costs). Since your ex was the one who moved away, you should insist that he bears the cost of visitation. Both of you would still have joint legal custody of the child where you would still consult each other when making decisions regarding the child’s upbringing and general welfare.

and what are the possible outcomes.

Response 2: The Court rules in your favor because that is the environment that child has known and the Court would not want to change it—the Court would not want to uproot the child from a familiar environment. The Court rules in your ex-husband favor because his environment would be better for the child. However, it is doubtful that the Court would rule in your ex's favor since he was the one who moved out of state without even telling you his new address. Unless your ex proves that you are “unfit” to raise the child by yourself, the Court is most likely to rule in your favor and grant you sole physical custody with both of you still having joint legal custody of the child where you can still make decisions jointly as parents for the child’s upbringing and general welfare.

In a custody dispute, the Court would make a decision based on what is in the best interests of the child by looking at the living arrangement of the parties to the custody dispute, their lifestyles, associations, parenting skills, etc. If the Court finds after reviewing these factors that the child would be better off with you having sole physical custody, the Court would rule in your favor. Otherwise, the Court would rule in your ex-husband’s favor So, it is very important that you tell the Court any and all reasons why sole physical custody should be given to you; any witnesses should be brought to the Court to testify. Remember that the Court can only make decision based on the evidence presented to the Court.