How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 114800
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My granddaughters other grandmother is asking for temporary

This answer was rated:

My granddaughters other grandmother is asking for temporary guardianship. My daughter and granddaughter live about 2 1/2 hrs away from us. My daughter does not have a job and does not have her own residence so my granddaughter stays with her grandma and goes to school until her mother can get on her feet. Is this a good idea? We are just afraid my daughter will have a hard time getting her back. We also feel she was kind of "bullied" into signing the papers.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

Your fears are correct. Many times when these temporary guardianships are granted the grandparent gets attached and when the mother tries to get custody back they will take all of your daughter's issues and use those to claim she is still an unfit mother and should not get her child back. This forces the mother to go back to court and fight them in court and air all of the dirty laundry of your daughter's problems.

If it is possible, I would never advise this to anyone who came into my office as long as the mother was a fit parent. If your daughter is living with the grandmother or wherever she is living, grandma can babysit like normal people do, but the ploy for guardianship is usually a grandma plotting to keep the child from your daughter (we get people here daily and in our offices who have this happen to them frequently) and your daughter should be very wary for this reason. Your daughter needs to go sit with legal aid and have them read the papers and talk more about guardianships, because it can cause her issues later.

You can go into court as well and file an objection as a third party and grandparent to the guardianship and your daughter can also tell the court she changed her mind and did it because she did not understand the law and did not have an attorney at the time. I suggest you strongly consider getting her an attorney involved on this matter.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Law Educator, Esq. and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your advice. Was kind of what I thought but was unsure.