Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.

Do I have to go through friend of court with paying child support,

Do I have to go through friend of court with paying child support, or can I pay my exhusband instead? The court has upped my child support to 300 a month. I cant pay that an still pay for two other childern.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

Unfortunately, unless the court orders that Friend of the Court is waived, in MI all support goes through them and the reason is to help insure payments are properly made and tracked. Any party can ask the court for an order to allow direct payments and that is in the discretion of the court to allow for good cause.

Courts are bound in setting support by the statutory guidelines set forth by the MI legislature. The court MAY deviate from those guidelines only for good cause. if the judge did not find good cause to lower your payments, you have a right to file an appeal of the judge's decision to the appeals court for review and determine whether or not the judge abused his discretion in refusing to lower your payments based on the needs of your other two children. That is your legal recourse in the matter for the lowering of the support.

To seek to pay your ex directly, you need to get the court approval to not go through Friend of Court.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience: Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Can the courts say no to paying direct

Thank you for your response.

Yes, the court has discretion to refuse to allow you to pay direct. Your chances of them allowing you to pay direct are best if your ex agrees to you doing so.