AttyCBradford
AttyCBradford, Lawyer
Experience:  Criminal Defense and Family Law Attorney serving California Statewide
66829710

Hi. If you can help me, that would be great. What happens after

Hi. If you can help me, that would be great. What happens after I object to a judgement that a creditor is trying to get.

AttyCBradford :

If the debt was in CA in 2006 the debt is past the statute of limitations in CA most likely as they can only collect for up to 4 years let me ask you a few more question to be sure

AttyCBradford :

What type of debt was this? When was the LAST PAYMENT made on the debt?

Customer:

I never paid anything on this debt. I do not even remember this debt. This debt was for a merchant account. They told me it was opened in September of 06, but yet, I remember moving out of california that month. We were having difficult times, we had to move. We lost our house, our electricity was shut off, it was terrible back then.

AttyCBradford :

The statute of limitation in California for a creditor to sue for any type of debt is four years. If they have failed to collect within that time then they are at fault. I would respond in writing, denying the debt, asking for proof and validation of the debt. If they file a lawsuit agains you you will be successful in defending on the basis of statute of limitations. There are creditors that purposefully go around and collect on these old debts referred to as "zombie debts," because some people become scared and just pay them

AttyCBradford :

If I have answered all of your questions please press accept and provide positive feedback so I will get credit for assisting you. PLEASE NOTE: this is a PAID answering service and we only receive credit for assisting you if you accept the answer. If you are not satisfied and need additional assistance, please ask before providing negative feedback and I would be glad to assist you further. Sometimes I am working with more than one customer at a time so please allow a chance to respond. Thank you and I wish you the best in your situation! I strongly suggest that you consult with a local attorney in your area on this matter. This information is provided for general informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice nor has an attorney-client relationship been formed.

Customer:

Are you there? I had another question for you.