AttyCBradford, Lawyer
Experience:  Criminal Defense and Family Law Attorney serving California Statewide

7/19/2008, I married my former partner in San Diego. During

7/19/2008, I married my former partner in San Diego. During this brief time, same sex marriages were allowed. My former partner lives in Utah and I live in Arizona. Since 2010, we have both tried to file for divorce several times but have been told that we had to be residents of California to file for a divorce. I have also been offered a "Dissolution for a Domestic Partnership" many times but am worried that this is not correct because we were issued a marriage license. I am now planning to remarry in 10/13 in Europe. I need to find a way to resolve this issue and ANY advice is welcomed! Please help!

AttyCBradford :

Hello! I would be glad to assist you as I am a CA attorney. You are CORRECT, you need to file for dissolution of marriage not a domestic partnership. Since both of you live out of state and neither AZ or UT will grant you the divorce you are ALLOWED to file and are EXCUSED from the residenency requirements. However, it needs to be filed in the county where you were married. If you were married for under 5 years, no issue of spousal support and your assets were minimal you may qualify for a summary dissolution, which is a quicker process when both parties agree to the divoce

AttyCBradford :

If I have answered all of your questions please press accept and provide positive feedback so I will get credit for assisting you. PLEASE NOTE: this is a PAID answering service and we only receive credit for assisting you if you accept the answer. If you are not satisfied and need additional assistance, please ask before providing negative feedback and I would be glad to assist you further. Sometimes I am working with more than one customer at a time so please allow a chance to respond. Thank you and I wish you the best in your situation! I strongly suggest that you consult with a local attorney in your area on this matter. This information is provided for general informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice nor has an attorney-client relationship been formed.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for the information. I really appreciate it!!