How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask AttyCBradford Your Own Question
AttyCBradford, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 643
Experience:  Criminal Defense and Family Law Attorney serving California Statewide
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
AttyCBradford is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I owe Ca. back child support which Im making monthly payments.

This answer was rated:

I owe Ca. back child support which I'm making monthly payments. Can they still take my Roth IRA from my bank which is located in Tx.

AttyCBradford :

When you owe back ordered child support, the party or the Department of Child Support Services may place a levy on property or assets that you own, including your roth IRA to pay off the debt.

AttyCBradford :

If I have answered all of your questions please press accept and provide positive feedback so I will get credit for assisting you. PLEASE NOTE: this is a PAID answering service and we only receive credit for assisting you if you accept the answer. If you are not satisfied and need additional assistance, please ask before providing negative feedback and I would be glad to assist you further. Sometimes I am working with more than one customer at a time so please allow a chance to respond. Thank you and I wish you the best in your situation! I strongly suggest that you consult with a local attorney in your area on this matter. This information is provided for general informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice nor has an attorney-client relationship been formed.

AttyCBradford :

My assumption is that DCSS placed a levy on your IRA account

AttyCBradford and 4 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Can you get my money back?

Your money back from this question or for the child support?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

for the back child support. I'm already making monthly payments to Ca. and that IRA was for my retirement

We are not allowed to take clients from this website. However, if you tell me the county you are located in I can point you to the legal aid society and they will be able to refer to you an attorney in your area

Related Family Law Questions