Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Lawyer
Experience:  I have assisted many customers and clients with their family law questions and I'm experienced in family law litigation.
45002201

my son got pulled over one evening in Pomona for driving erratically.

my son got pulled over one evening in Pomona for driving erratically. he was not drinking. when they ran his license, it came up that he has a warrant from 2009 for a speeding ticket that he knows he took care of and even went to traffic school. I remember this. this was for a ticket he got in long beach. if this is a true warrant, then how come he has been able to register his car, renew his license and even since then he has been pulled over for minor things like a broXXXXX XXXXXght this warrant never came up till now. the officer says this warrant is at 5,000 dollars. he has a court date august 29th.

texlawyer :

Good evening. I'll be assisting you with your question.

texlawyer :

This is a difficult situation. Ordinarily, a warrant would show up anytime a person is pulled over. Further, a person should not be allowed to renew his or her license with an outstanding traffic warrant.

texlawyer :

That said, all of that is subject to human error. It is possible that the warrant was not properly entered, it was a warrant entered for someone else, and it somehow was put under his name, or that the people who should have caught this in the past did not actually run him when they should have.

texlawyer :

The best thing you can do is contact the court that issued the warrant and find out if the error was on their end. They will have record of his ticket and whether it was paid. If they show payment and completion of the ticket, then you can simply get a copy and ask them to withdraw the warrant.

Customer:

My son just told me that he did call and they said the ticket has not been paid. Would this show up on his DMV driving record? He doesn't have 5000 dollars

texlawyer :

Yes, the failure to appear will show up on his driving record.

texlawyer :

The cost of the ticket is not $5000. There may be a bond, but that does not mean he will actually have to put up that amount of money.

Customer:

!

texlawyer :

Do you have a question?