Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.

What rights do a unmarried mother and father have with a baby

What rights do a unmarried mother and father have with a baby just born in California?

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Until there is a court order in place, both parents have equal rights to the child. California law specifically does not grant the mother any preference over the father. That means that, where parents are not in a relationship, it is a good idea to establish a written custody and child support arrangement as soon as possible. If the parents cannot agree, the judge will decide who should get custody based on what is in the best interests of the child. He will also order the non-custodial parent to begin paying support based on the combined income of the parents and how much time each of them has with the child.

If you have any questions or concerns about what I've written, please reply so that I may address them. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I provide. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so that I get credit for answering your question. Thank you.