Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
26798026

I need to evict my 22 year old stepdaughter from my house that

I need to evict my 22 year old stepdaughter from my house that I share with her mother. They moved in with me when we got married in August 2010. Her daughter is not employed, treats me with contempt, disrespect and is rude at times. I have told her mother the I want her out of the house and twice I was given a date that she will move out but her mother changed her mind because she's unemployed. What are the steps I need to take?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

Unfortunately, you cannot evict your stepdaughter as long as the mother is living in the house, giving her permission to stay. The mother is a legal resident and has a right to invite other people into the property. It would be a waste of your time and money to serve her with notice and go to court, only for the mother to open the door the next day and allow her back in. The two of you have to be able to reach an agreement before the stepdaughter can be removed.

If you and your wife can unite on this issue, you can serve the stepdaughter with a 30 day notice to vacate and, if she does not leave, you can go to court on the 31st day for eviction. But if you can't, the only way to remove the stepdaughter is to remove the mother - which would mean filing for divorce and asking the judge for exclusive possession of the marital home. I would certainly understand if you weren't prepared to do that, and I hope you can come up with some other resolution.

I apologize that this was probably not the Answer you were hoping to receive. However, it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.

Good luck.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience: Attorney with experience in family law.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Lucy, Esq. thank you very much for your truthful, honest, and straight forward information. I understand and I appreciate very much your answer to my question.