Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.

Hello. I am currently separated from my wife. I bought a

Hello. I am currently separated from my wife. I bought a diamond ring prior to our wedding and it was used for our marriage ceremony as my wife's wedding ring. Is this considered marital property or can I claim it as separate property?

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

A wedding ring and engagement ring is a gift in contemplation of marriage. Once the wedding is held, the gift is complete, and the rings belong to the wife. They are neither marital property nor the husband's separate property, because he bought them to give to the wife. There is an exception for things like family heirlooms, which a judge may order the wife to return, but the husband often has to pay for that. Otherwise, the ring is hers, just as any other gift that was given to her.

I realize that you may be disappointed by this Answer, as it is not entirely favorable to your situation. However, it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.

Good luck.