How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 29593
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my ex wife has taken our son to the hospital for emergency

This answer was rated:

my ex wife has taken our son to the hospital for emergency surgery. I am the person holding the insurance for him. She put my name on the forms but her address. Now she is receiving the bills for his surgery. My concern and question is: She is opening these bills and only giving me copies of these bill to pay. Is that legal for her to use my name and her address or open any of my mail? Legally she is responsible for half of his medical cost.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

It is a federal crime to open someone else's mail. 18 U.S.C. Section 1701. You could try letting her know that if she does not give you the mail addressed to you (assuming that her name is XXXXX XXXXX on it), you will press criminal charges. Another option is to contact the hospital, provide them with your correct address, and ask them to send you copies of all bills that have been sent to you. The post office also has a service that allows a person to request that all mail sent to his name at one address be forwarded to another.

Unless the court order allows it, she should not be putting your name on the medical forms, unless they are specifically asking for the name on the insurance. Unfortunately, the way to stop that is to go back to the family court and ask the judge to order her to put her name on the forms, or to use your address when your name is used.

If you have any questions or concerns about what I've written, please reply so that I may address them. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I provide. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so that I get credit for answering your question. Thank you.
Lucy, Esq. and 7 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions