Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
26798026

Me and my wife filed for a uncontested divorce after being

Me and my wife filed for a uncontested divorce after being married for 5 months in the state of mississippi and i would like to go on dates again so im not so lonely. We have no property to split or money. We both have houses and we never moved in with each other and still live seperately in our own houses. Can she do anything if I start dating again before we get the final divorce papers

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

If the two of you can agree that you have no joint assets and that each will walk away with what you had going into the marriage, then whether or not you are dating will have no effect on the divorce. However, it could help to have a written property settlement agreement.

The two of you have not been married long enough that a judge would be likely to award her alimony, so whether you're dating wouldn't be a factor in that. Also, dating would usually only be considered in a fault-based divorce where she claimed that your dating someone else is what destroyed the marriage. That's not the scenario you have described.

Mississippi is one of the few states that still recognizes alienation of affection as a cause of action. That means that, when a spouse cheats, the other spouse may be able to sue the paramour for damages. However, that usually applies when a cheating spouse ends an otherwise solid marriage, not when a person begins dating after determining independently that a broken marriage cannot be repaired.

If you have any questions or concerns about what I've written, please reply so that I may address them. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I provide. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so that I get credit for answering your question. Thank you.