Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.

Looking at divorce options. Children live with me in a different

Looking at divorce options. Children live with me in a different state than spouse. What type of child-support amounts can I expect? What is fair?

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

If the divorce is filed in MA, the judge will apply the child support guidelines, which are based on your combined incomes, the number of children, and other factors. This worksheet can help you figure out what a judge would order you to pay.

If the two of you intend to file in the other state, I can look at the child support guidelines in that state for you. Most states have residency requirements, so you may not be able to file in the state where you're currently living, if you moved there recently.

If you have any questions or concerns about what I've written, please reply so that I may address them. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I provide. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so that I get credit for answering your question. Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have lived in ma for 14 months. Before th

at we loved in ct together. Where would we file?

If there is property to be divided in Connecticut, or you're requesting spousal support and your spouse never lived in MA, you would usually file in Connecticut. You can also look at the Connecticut child support guidelines and see if that helps you make a decision.