How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ellen Your Own Question
Ellen, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 36714
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ellen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have joint legal custody of my two children we all live in

This answer was rated:

I have joint legal custody of my two children we all live in N.C.. My x-wife wants to invite my sister and her family to visit my children at her residence. My sister has made damaging and outrageous claims against my mother and father and the entire family (uncles, sisters, brothers) have stopped relations with her and her family. I believe my sister is unstable and I do not want her around my children. Can I stop my x-wife from inviting my sister and her family to visit my kids?
*This chat is not intended as legal advice. It is general information that may or may not apply to your situation and should not be relied upon.*


Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I can to answer your questions!

You can petition the court to modify the parenting plan to prevent your former spouse from allowing your sister and her family contact with your children.

Although typically a parent may determine who the children spend time with during the parents parenting time, the court can order otherwise if the court determines that such visitation would not be in the children's best interest. Therefore you would need to convince the court that it is in your children's best interests not to have contact with your sister and her family

I would be glad to continue our conversation and respond to any follow-up questions that you may have.
Ellen and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you