How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question

Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 25030
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I want to know if I decide to divorce, what can I have after

Resolved Question:

I want to know if I decide to divorce, what can I have after this. We have a 8-year-old daughter. My husband bought three properties (2 houses and 1 apartment) before our marriage. He has two mortgages and cc debt. We are living in one of his houses. What's right I have to live in the house with daughter? What's my alimony and child support, if any?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 2 years ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

The three houses purchased prior to the marriage are your husband's separate property. If he never added your name to the properties or otherwise gifted them to you, they remain his separate property. He would usually get both the properties and the debt associated with them. If you used marital funds to fix up any of the properties, then you could claim half the value that those improvements caused.

Debt accumulated during the marriage, credit card or otherwise, is split between the two of you. Assets accumulated during the marriage by either of you are also split. That includes any bank accounts that you each have, retirement accounts, properties bought during the marriage, etc.

Your husband can agree to allow you to continue living in the marital home with your daughter until she turns 18, or the two of you can enter a lease agreement. A judge would uphold that agreement if it were made. Child support is based on your respective incomes and how much time you each have with the child. We unfortunately are not able to calculate it for you, but this calculator should give you a reasonable estimate.

Alimony is a little different. It's not based on a specific formula. There's also been a constant trend in the United States toward reducing or eliminating alimony. To get alimony, first, a person has to be able to show need. That means establishing that your income is not sufficient to support you in the marital standard of living (and child support will be considered in this). If you are not working, you may have to show an inability to work. The judge will look at your income vs. expenses and what your husband can afford to pay. Chances of getting alimony increase if the marriage has lasted more than 10 years. Typically, what you would get is what the judge thinks you need to help you become self-supporting. That means that payments frequently last about half the duration of the marriage.

If you have any questions or concerns about what I've written, please reply so that I may address them. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I provide. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so that I get credit for answering your question. Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Excuse me, I reply only at night. Thank you for let me know some basic law. Some questions more: if apartment was bought during marriage, but my name does not include in the title, how is it work? I know my husband has some activities-assets (shares, cars etc) overseas, but it doesn't show in Tax Return. In this case how is US(FL) law work or foreign law?

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
If the apartment was purchased during marriage, it legally is marital property, unless it was purchased 100% with funds he acquired prior to the marriage. The name on the title is not relevant. In that case, each of you is entitled to roughly half the value. That means that you could be ordered to give him half the equity from other marital assets. Usually, the spouse that gets the children can remain in the marital home in that scenario, if you are able to afford the mortgage (including any child or spousal support you are awarded). You would likely be responsible for continuing mortgage payments if you get the house, even if the judge orders him to pay you support.

U.S. law will apply to everything, since you are getting divorced in the U.S. You will have the opportunity during divorce to request information regarding his other assets, and the judge can order him to transfer some portion of them to you, or can consider them when deciding how much he can afford to pay.

If your husband has substantial assets and you do not, it may be possible to ask the judge to order him to give you money to pay a lawyer during the divorce. A local attorney can file the paperwork for you, so that may be an option to consider.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 25030
Experience: Attorney with experience in family law.
Lucy, Esq. and 8 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan
< Previous | Next >
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL

Meet The Experts:

  • Ely


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
< Last | Next >
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
  • LawTalk's Avatar


    Attorney and Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, 17 years legal experience including family law
  • Brandon M.'s Avatar

    Brandon M.

    Family Law Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney experienced in all aspects of family law
  • Barrister's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney with 15 years experience
  • AttorneyTom's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers: