Ellen, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.

In the state of indiana , what age does child support stop

In the state of indiana , what age does child support stop if child is going to college on a full ride
*This chat is not intended as legal advice. It is general information that may or may not apply to your situation and should not be relied upon.*

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I can to answer your questions!

Child support would terminate at age 19 since the child would not require support for his educational needs.

Statute IC 31-16-6-6 provides that child support in Indiana terminates at age 19 but can be continued until age 21 if necessary for educational needs

I would be glad to continue our conversation and respond to any follow-up questions that you may have.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If necessary for educational needs, please explain!

Hi Dion,

The Indiana guidelines provide:
b. Post‑Secondary Education. The authority of the Court to award post‑secondary educational expenses is derived fromIC31‑16‑6‑2. It is discretionary with the court to award post‑secondary educational expenses and in what amount. In making such a decision, the court should consider post‑secondary education to be a group effort, and weigh the ability of each parent to contribute to payment of the expense, as well as the ability of the student to pay a portion of the expense.

In other words educational expenses include tuition, room and board and books.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks -Your are good- Will get back to you later

Thank you Dion.