Ellen, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
9968427

At what age does a child have the right to choose who she does

At what age does a child have the right to choose who she does or does not want to visit?

Thank you for your question. I am a New York licensed attorney. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I can to answer your questions!

A child does not have a legal right to decline to comply with a court order of visitation at any age. The parties are bound by court order until or unless the court issues an order.

That said, there may be a remedy.

The mother may petition the court for modification to the visitation agreement based upon the child's preference. A New York court will typically consider the opinion of the child when the child is able to clearly and maturely articulate his reasons for requesting a change usually about age 12.

Age is not the only factor that is considered by the court. Typically, the court will take into consideration the maturity of the child and the child's reasons for requesting the change.

I would be glad to continue our conversation and respond to any follow-up questions that you may have.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you!

It has been my pleasure to work with you

Thank you in advance for remembering to leave a positive rating of my service to you today.

Please let me know if I can assist you in the future by requesting me directly.
Hi Don,

I see that you rated my service as "OK" - although I appreciate the positive rating, is there something else that you wanted to know? It's my aim to provide only excellent service.

The site will be sending you a survey. Your answer to one of the questions on of the survey is essential to my continued ability to answer questions on the site.

Question #3 of the survey will ask you: "How likely is it that you would recommend your Expert to a friend?"

I would greatly appreciate it if you would answer "10" on this question. If for any reason you cannot answer "10" in response to question number 3, please tell me how I may further assist you.

As always, I am here to address follow-up questions at no additional charge.

Thanks again,
FiveStarLaw