Ellen, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
9968427

For Five Star Law -If I move into a rental and do not sign

For Five Star Law -If I move into a rental and do not sign a lease, do I have to give the landlord notice to move out? Can the landlord put me out without notice?
*This chat is not intended as legal advice. It is general information that may or may not apply to your situation and should not be relied upon.*

Welcome back,

I appreciate your loyalty and continued patronage. It is my pleasure to answer your questions.

If I move into a rental and do not sign a lease, do I have to give the landlord notice to move out?

Yes, 15 days notice is required. When there is not a written lease, the property is considered to be rented on a month-to-month basis. In Florida 15 days notice is required for either the landlord or the tenant to terminate a month-to-month lease.

Can the landlord put me out without notice?

No he cannot. The landlord must provide 15 days written notice of termination of the month to monthly lease. If you fail to vacate at the end of the 15 day notice period, the landlord cannot put you out. Instead the landlord must file an unlawful detainer action with the court and obtain a court order granting him possession of the property.

I would be glad to continue our conversation and respond to any follow-up questions that you may have.