How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ellen Your Own Question
Ellen, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 36714
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ellen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Child support obligation until child is 18yrs. Old or 19yrs.

This answer was rated:

Child support obligation until child is 18yrs. Old or 19yrs. Old if still in school. Ex-wife will not provide proof he is still enrolled in high school now that he has turned 18. Can I legally compel her to provide verification, and can I stop paying until she does? Case was handled in Virginia, child resides in Florida. I pay direct to her, no garnishment. I have no contact with them so I am unsure of child's status. Can only go by what she says, and don't trust her.
*This chat is not intended as legal advice. It is general information that may or may not apply to your situation and should not be relied upon.*


Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I can to answer your questions!

To assist me in answering your question, please tell me whether the last court order was entered in Virginia

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes, divorce and child support handled in Virginia.
Hello Joe,

Thank you for your response.

Since your son is 18, you may consider filing a motion to terminate child support based upon the majority of your child. The court would typically then terminate child support unless the mother furnished adequate proof to the court that your child is still in high school and living with her.

I would be glad to continue our conversation and respond to any follow-up questions that you may have.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Child turned 18 in May 2013. I paid support for May2013 and June 2013( assuming school ended in June). I paid July 2013 in good faith while I awaited proof from ex-wife. I have not paid August 2013, and based on your advice, is it ok not too pay while I find attorney to file motion to cease payment? Or do I pay until I get answer from filing?

A court order requires that you continue to make payments until a court determines otherwise therefore I cannot tell you to stop making payments. Since you have not paid the August support payment, my best suggestion is that you retain counsel this week to file the motion.
Ellen and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions