How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ellen Your Own Question
Ellen, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 36714
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ellen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My childs support ends at 18 but their is a provision if still

This answer was rated:

My childs support ends at 18 but their is a provision if still in school the court can modify order to continue support until he graduates or turns 19 whichever comes first.My question is do they have to modify order before 18 or can they do it anytime after he is 18 and does ex wife have to petition the court or is it done automatically I live in Florida so does child who is with ex wife
*This chat is not intended as legal advice. It is general information that may or may not apply to your situation and should not be relied upon.*


Thank you for your question. I am a Florida licensed attorney. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I can to answer your questions!

Has your child graduated high school?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no he graduates next year but will turn 18 this year

Thank you for your reply.

No action is required to continue the child support.

Child support must be continued until age 19 if a child is still in high school. When your child reaches the age of 19 or graduates high school, whichever comes first, you would then petition the court to terminate child support. Here is the form to terminate child support at that time:

I would be glad to continue our conversation and respond to any follow-up questions that you may have.
Ellen and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you very much for the "excellent service" rating and the bonus!

If I can be of assistance in the future, begin your question with: "For FiveStarLaw"

Related Family Law Questions