How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 115451
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Self-Employed Taxes - Paul, after everything in the past

This answer was rated:

Self-Employed Taxes -
Paul, after everything in the past happened I lost my corporate job and have found finding new employment difficult. Obviously. So I am self-employed making money renting out my house and planning on purchasing a couple other homes and then renting those out. I know that in general when someone is self-employed that they pay "their" portion and their employers portion of social security which can equal around 13%. My brother told me that you do not need to do that on rental income. Does that sound correct to you?
Thank you for your new question. I look forward to working with you again.

Your brother is correct, since renting houses is passive income, not employment income. However, to build up SS, many people will do the rentals as a business and form an LLC and rent through the LLC and take a salary and pay their SS and unemployment taxes because in the event something happens and they lose the houses they can collect unemployment and the money to SS increases your benefit amounts.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.


If I sent up an LLC (which I plan to) and I take an income through that do I have to pay the SS taxes. Everything is so tight now, even though I wouldn't mind building up my SS or unemployment that 13% makes a big difference in my budget right now.

Thank you for your follow up.

If you set up the LLC and make any income from salary, yes you have to pay the 13%. However, while I know things are tight, I also get customers here daily in the same boat as you complaining as to why their SS and medicare is so low or why they cannot get unemployment and the answer is because they chose to save money because things were tight and take a bonus from their LLC instead of salary and paying the taxes.

You can make the choice which way to go with it, but you need to look to the future when you cannot work anymore and how much more paying into SS now will give you then.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.


That is very fair and wise. So are you saying that I could possibly do some combination of salary and pay the 13% and bonus and not pay the 13%? Thanks.

Absolutely, you can take some salary (I suggest if possible just enough to get you the maximum unemployment benefit if you lose work for any reason) and pay the 13% on that and then take the rest in shareholder distribution/bonus and avoid the 13% on the remainder.
Law Educator, Esq. and 5 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions