Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 14 years experience

Hi! My friend who is in Florida is pregnant with her 5th child.

Customer Question

Hi! My friend who is in Florida is pregnant with her 5th child. She would like to come to Indiana, where I live, to have the baby and take custody of the baby. She doesn't want lawyers involved. Is this possible?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 11 months ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is XXXXXXXXX XXX I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
Is your friend married at this time?
.
Does she have custody of the other 4 children?
.
Is there any court order in place that would prevent her from leaving the state and taking the other children (if she has custody of them)? This would typically be a custody order with the father of any of the children.
.
Are you asking if she can just come to IN and have the baby?
.
Or are you saying she wants to come there, have the baby and then give you the baby?
.
.
Thanks
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

.
Is your friend married at this time?
She is married. The husband is in agreeance with the adoption.
.
.She does have custody of the other 4 children.

No, it wouldn't be a problem. Although it would be only she and her husband coming to Indiana.

.
.Yes, she and her husband want to come to Indiana to have the baby and then give us the baby.
.
Ok, then you are talking about a private adoption. There is a considerable amount of paperwork that is involved in a private adoption and this is not something that you would want to undertake without professional help. There are private adoption agencies that can assist for a fee or family law attorneys who can help with private placements. There is typically a homestudy course that prospective parents must go through and everything has to be formally approved by the local probate court judge for it to be legal.
.
I know you said the mother doesn't want an attorney, but in order to get this done correctly the first time and get all the paperwork where it needs to go in the order it needs to go there, I would highly suggest hiring a local IN family law or adoption attorney to assist. The attorney's involvement would be limited to helping get the paperwork filed, getting you through any educational or homestudy requirements, and helping to formalize the adoption.
.
.
Thanks