Legalease
Legalease, Lawyer
Experience:  13 years experience, divorce & custody issues, protective orders, child abuse issues

My 16 year old daughter sent a nude photo to her guy friend.

My 16 year old daughter sent a nude photo to her guy friend. The picture was then passed around to many students. What is the best way to handle this situation. Do we need to seek an atty? Should we go to the police? We don't want to ruin lives over a stupid teenage situation
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Legalease replied 11 months ago.

Hello there

-

I am in Massachusetts. Unfortunately, if you take this matter to the police, there is a very real concern that they will trace the picture back to your daughter and her friend and then the both of them could be charged with a criminal violation for disseminating child pornography (because your daughter is under 17 years of age). I know this is aggravating to you but the best thing for you to do is ignore the situation and eventually everyone involved will move onto the next thing they get in an email and the talk will die down. Certainly if the picture was done without her permission and sent out without her permission it should be taken to the police -- however, under these circumstances, when the police trace it back to her cellphone and her friends cellphone (which they will) then she could end up in more trouble than any of your bargained for. There have been instances where the girls whose photos were sent out are actually charged with disseminating pornography and then they are held up as an example in the community and to other teenage girls NOT to do something like that. I am certain that you do not want this to happen to your daughter.

-

Please let me know if you have any questions.

-

MARY

-

Please press the 3rd, 4th or 5th smile face below so I will be paid for my time. I am paid NOTHING unless you press a positive rating below. Pressing a positive rating below will NOT cost you any additional money -- it simply acts as the trigger to Just Answer to pay me for my time. THANK YOU

Legalease, Lawyer
Experience: 13 years experience, divorce & custody issues, protective orders, child abuse issues