LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
15277592

I have two sons who are adult dependents over 18. If I title

Customer Question

I have two sons who are adult dependents over 18. If I title a car in their name and assist in getting them car insurance do I eliminate the potential of a claim on my assets in case of a liability in excess of their coverage.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

With the rare exception of you negligently providing a vehicle to someone who has such poor driving ability and so many accidents/violations on their record that they constitute a known danger behind the wheel----which is about impossible to prove----then so long as the vehicle is registered, and titled it is paid off, in the name of someone other than yourself, then under the law, you do not have any liability for any claims made against the operators of the vehicle based on their own negligence.

The fact that they may be dependent on you for support does not work to impose any liability on you. Neither does the fact that you pay for the vehicle, or even their insurance.

All you will need to do is divest yourself of legal ownership of the vehicle and make sure that they have their own policy of insurance, and you will be just fine.

You may reply back to me again, using the Reply to Expert link, if you have additional questions.

I wish you the best in your future,

Doug

LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Experience: 30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your positive rating of my service. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope than you will ask for me on JustAnswer should a future need ever arise.

Please feel free to bookmark the following link so you can request me to answer any future legal questions you may have:
http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-lawtalk/

Thanks again.

Doug

When you receive your Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please do rate me highly (9-10) there as well. It would be tremendously appreciated.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Doug,

I have a third son who is 23. He has a DUI and an at fault crash in the last ten years. No injuries but totalled his car and significant damage to the other. I suspect he was using but pulled a runner. No charges filed. He is a recovering drug addict. If I sell him a car in my name and transfer title on a note that says I can repo (take it away from him) if I suspect or can prove he is not working and using again can I escape personal liability. I will provide financial support for his insurance and living as he hopefully gets back on his feet.

Best , Jim

Expert:  LawTalk replied 10 months ago.
Good morning Jim,

While your questions are seeming related---at least to the extent that they involve family members and cars, they are truly different questions.

As you may not be aware, the Rules of JustAnswer specify that each customer ask one question in each question thread. For new questions, the customer is asked to open a new question thread. I am required to ask that you place these new questions in a new thread, as is required by JustAnswer. I do sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this might cause you.

You may ask for me personally by referring to me by name (Doug) in your new question and I will be able to assist you. As the questions that you are posing are new, I am required to ask you to please open up a new question thread for them. Thank you for your understanding.

Doug