Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, 16 years legal experience including family law
4460311

I have another question. The Temporary Guardianship papers

I have another question. The Temporary Guardianship papers were not filed through a court. They are just the standard forms offline that you have notarized. Both my fiance and myself signed them. We have since separated and I am solely caring for this child. He does not want to continue to offer support for him.

He sent over a Personal Release form today and asked me to sign it. It basically states that I cannot ask him for any care for my daughter or the child we have guardianship of.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Tina replied 1 year ago.
Hello again, Tammy.

The new facts you have provided would not typically change my previous answers to you. And you would not typically be entitled to receive any child support for the other woman's child unless you obtain legal guardianship of the child by court order.

However, you had some new questions about your own child, although I don't see the questions here now. Also, how old is your daughter with this man?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

She is my daughter and not his. Her father passed when she was nine and my fiance cam into the picture when she was 10 1/2 and has cared for like she was his own since. She in now 18 and leaves for college next week. he did not adopt her.

Expert:  Tina replied 1 year ago.
I see. Thank you for clarifying that, Tammy.

Since he did not adopt your daughter and she is now 18, there would typically be no grounds to compel him to pay for her support I'm afraid. I'm so sorry, but courts would not normally impose an obligation on him for support although she may be entitled to support through social security since her biological father passed away.

I hope this helps clarify the situation for you. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need so I will be compensated for my time from the deposit you posted with this website. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Would you sign the Personal Release? Not sure why he would want this.

Thank you for your help!

Expert:  Tina replied 1 year ago.
Hello again, Tammy.

No, I would not sign any such document. He may not be familiar with the law and is concerned you pay pursue payment from him, but I would not agree to sign such a document nonetheless.

You are very welcome and good luck to you!
Tina, Lawyer
Experience: JD, 16 years legal experience including family law