Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.

I am a resident of the state of CA. I filed for divorce in

I am a resident of the state of CA. I filed for divorce in Dec. 11, it became final in Dec. '12. We officially separated in Jan. '12, and as of 2/1/12 I had moved out and begun supporting myself fully. My ex has asked me to pay child support expenses and expenses for me dating back to Jan. '12. Am I obligated to pay these expenses if the divorce had not yet become final? Thank you.

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

To answer directly, if you were not paying child support between Jan '12 and Dec '12, then requesting that you cover those costs is reasonable. Even if no order was put in place yet, providing maintenance and care for the child is a legitimate demand. But if no spousal support, alimony, or alimony pendente lite was put in place, any expenses to the spouse are NOT reasonable as they are not court ordered. Those expenses you are not obligated to pay or covered.

Good luck.