Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
18572087

Is normal in the state of Maryland that the custodial parent

Customer Question

Is normal in the state of Maryland that the custodial parent have the child for 27 consecutive days when they take their two week vacation?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question. Please allow me to assist you with your concerns.

Why do you feel that this may not be 'normal' or proper? What is the current custodial schedule and how is it broken down between the parties? Is the 27 days because the 2 week vacation took place during the time the other parent would usually have some custody or visitation, or is the other parent simply refusing to grant access to the other party?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
27 days because the 2 week vacation took place on the non custodial parents visitation weekends. This is the same thing happened last year.

Thank you for your follow-up.

There is nothing illegal or improper about having vacation time fall during the time the other parent may have custody. There is one global rule for custody, so if one parent may have an uninterrupted period of time, such as 27 days, it is not in violation of any law. You ca potentially go to court and seek to amend the language and request that the courts possibly ensure that such long stretches of uninterrupted time do not take place, but at least so far based on what you described, it is not a violation and it is not an invalid order.

Good luck.