ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
19487448

how long do you have to wait before you can request a change

Customer Question

how long do you have to wait before you can request a change on parenting time
Category: Family Law
Expert:  ScottyMacEsq replied 3 years ago.

ScottyMacEsq :

Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am researching your issue and will respond shortly.

ScottyMacEsq :

You generally must wait one year after the last court order to change custody unless the children are or may be endangered physically or mentally, or unless the other parent has violated the custody order. This one-year requirement may not apply to minor changes in "parenting time". Another time is if at least six (6) months have passed and the other parent has not followed the joint custody order. That's the 6 month period that you were told about.

ScottyMacEsq :

The only other option is if there has been domestic violence, spousal abuse, or child abuse and you have evidence that the best interests of the minor child(ren) require a change.

ScottyMacEsq :

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, and good luck to you!

ScottyMacEsq :

I'm sorry that you felt that this was poor service. Can you explain why you feel that way? Please don't "shoot the messenger" here. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, and again, good luck to you!

ScottyMacEsq :

I see that you have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, and again, good luck to you!