LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.

Can my husband move money around and hide financial information?

Can my husband move money around and hide financial information? He claims there is income(substantial) that was gifted to him - therefore is off limits. I only truly want what I am entitled to and just want to get out from under his thumb. He has 3 million plus in a MMF aside from these other things. How do I know he won't manipulate accounts?

Good morning Dorian,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. Thank you for asking for me.

Many spouses try to hide money, and try to disguise where that money came from in an attempt to keep it from being distributed in a divorce. If your spouse is like many, he is prepared to cheat, lie and commit perjury to win.

Your best offense will be to retain a competent family law attorney and a forensic accountant who cal look at all the books and determine what is there, what should be there, and what is missing. Claims of inherited money are easy enough to confirm---as there is a money trail for those. The use of a forensic accountant is an absolute must in a case like you describe.

You may reply back to me again, using the Reply to Expert link, if you have additional questions.

I wish you the best in your future,

Thank you for your positive rating of my service, Dorian. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope than you will ask for me on JustAnswer should a future need ever arise.

Please feel free to bookmark the following link so you can request me to answer any future legal questions you may have:

Thanks again.

When you receive your Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please do rate me highly (9-10) there as well. It would be tremendously appreciated.