Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.

Can payments made to a spouse as alimony under a mediated settlement

Can payments made to a spouse as alimony under a mediated settlement agreement signed by both sides but not ratified by the Judge be treated as alimony for tax purposes, since the divorce decree has not been signed?
Thank you for your new question. I look forward to working with you again (Please do not forget to go back and leave excellent feedback on your other open questions as I see you have yet to do so).

Yes, if there is a signed contractual agreements to pay spousal support, even if it is not ordered yet by the court by signing off on the mediation agreement, they are still considered alimony payments.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.