Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

Middle of custody battle. Mother sends 4 yr old back with

Middle of custody battle. Mother sends 4 yr old back with bruises. Took picture again and this one on his right butt cheek. Broke the skin. Said Mommy spanked me really hard. He's a good little boy. We put him in time out. Never lay a hand on him. Dad has shared custody. I'm paternal grandmother. One week with Mom, One week w/ Dad and share holidays. Mother unstable! Called DCF on her one time and she claimed bite marks in day care. It was a grab and her fingernail imprint. So this is third time back with bruises. Other times bad sunburn, took pics also. How does a judge look at this? If we call DCF now they will think we're just trying to gain leverage in the custody battle. If we don't call them and photos are date stamped, we're scared something worse will happen. Each time child has said, Mommy grabbed him, Mommy spanked him. What should we do??? Help!
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

You need to contact DCF IMMEDIATELY since there is evidence of the abuse and you need to do it while the visibility of the bruises are still present. Failure to report abuse immediately could lead to DCF claiming that you participated in covering up the abuse and punishing you as well as the abuser. FL DCF makes these claims all the time and goes after both parents.

The judge will look at her as being an unfit parent is how he will look at her if the child comes back from visits with her with marks and bruises consistently. DCF will not think you are seeking leverage (as incompetent and negligent as FL DCF social workers are, you have evidence of actual injury and a duty to report it, but you have the option of taking the child to a doctor with your pictures for examination and let the doctor report it as they too are a mandatory reporter).

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience: Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.