Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

Following the law change in July 2012, can either side require

Following the law change in July 2012, can either side require the other to name the opposing spouse the beneficiary of a non probate asset such as life insurance or otherwise dictate the amount, or particulars of the non probate asset?
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

Under FL Statute 732.703 the law simply states that the beneficiary designation on life insurance or annuity plans of a spouse would terminate and be void upon the order of divorce being entered. It does not prevent a court for ordering some type of life insurance plan be put in place to cover the ex spouse for child support needs or spousal support needs in the event the paying spouse dies and Paragraph 4d provides an exception for this court order.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Please review the language in this proposed agreement. I intend not to name the other spouse as my beneficiary or trustee of my life insurance. Does this language as crafted allow me to leave life insurance to a bank of other professional trustee without spouse being irrevocable beneficiary

Life Insurance. It is agreed that, as long as both parties are legally obligated to

support any children, each party shall contract for and keep in full force and effect a life

insurance policy with a face value of $150,000.00, with the other party, as trustee for the

children, designated as irrevocable beneficiary. Pursuant to Florida Statute 732.703, each party

shall be required to re-designate the other party as irrevocable beneficiary of their existing term

life insurance, after entry of the Final Judgment of Dissolution of Marriage. Within thirty (30)

days after the insurance policy has been obtained, each party will provide to the other the name

and address of the insurance company, the policy number, and a copy of the insurance policy.

In lieu of designating the other party as trustee for the children, either party may have the

option of designating a professional trustee, however, the face value of the life insurance shall

increase to $xxxxxxxxx to cover the expense of the trustee.

Within thirty (30) days after the insurance policy has been obtained, each party will

provide to the other the name and address of the insurance company, the policy number, and a

copy of the insurance policy.

Thank you for the follow up.

This sentence says you are designating each other a beneficiary: "Pursuant to Florida Statute 732.703, each party shall be required to re-designate the other party as irrevocable beneficiary of their existing term life insurance, after entry of the Final Judgment of Dissolution of Marriage." If you do not intend to designate your former spouse as beneficiary, then you need to state that the beneficiary will be the children, since you said you do not intend her to be beneficiary or trustee. Beneficiary is the person who gets the money from the policy.