Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.

This is a child support issue. I divorced in 2001 and have

This is a child support issue. I divorced in 2001 and have paid child support for my children since. I make as many visits and phone regularly although I live in a distant country. I am remarried and have children with my new wife. Even though my two older children are way beyond child support ages, I still help them. My question is in Alabama the law is not clear. My daughter is 17 years old, is pregnant and is not married. I see conflicting ages for child support to be paid till in Alabama. Some say, until married, emancipated, high school graduate, 18 years old and 19 years old. I realize it's tough times and will always help support my children in times of need. Although this younger generation seem to think it's a one way street, and do as they please with no consequences. I understand everything, but the age. Is it till the age of 18 or 19 years in Alabama? Thank you very much!

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

The age of majority in Alabama is 19. Support continues until that time. Ala. Code, Section 26-1-1.

The non-custodial parent can bring a cause of action for emancipation. However, getting pregnant does not emancipate a teenage girl. If she married the father, that would emancipate her. If she moved out on her own and got a job, then that would also be a basis for emancipation. So is entering the military. But just the fact of her pregnancy does not emancipate her.

With that said - you have no legal obligations to provide for HER child. She will need to seek child support from the baby's father.

If you have any questions or concerns about what I've written, please reply so that I may address them. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I provide. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so that I get credit for answering your question. Thank you.