joelaws8, Lawyer
Experience:  I can answer general family law questions regarding the family code and procedure.

I have been married for 15 years and my husband and I have

I have been married for 15 years and my husband and I have a 14 year old son. We live in Oregon and separated two months ago. My son is living with me and he has not provided financial child support yet. My husband and I took turns going to college. I finished my degree and was working while he was finishing college. Now I have a large student loan debt (we were planning on his income later to pay- he is in a much more stable field). It was his decision to leave. Is there anything I can do to receive alimony as well as child support? He won't graduate until this spring.
Good morning and thank you for the question.

There are a couple of ways you could go with this.

1.) You could hire a local family law attorney who can petition the court to order child support and spousal support in conjunction with the separation. The court would likely order the two of you to attend mediation prior to an actual hearing on the merits. Statistically speaking, there is a good chance you and your husband will reach an agreement at this mediation.

2.) You could call Oregon's child support services at(NNN) NNN-NNNN or apply on their website by clicking here. The website also has some very useful information under the resources tab on the left hand side. The good thing about this service is that it is basically free. There may be some nominal fee (e.g. $25). While they would help you obtain child support, they probably would not be of much assistance for spousal support.

I hope that answers your question! If so, please positively rate my answer. Experts only receive compensation for answers when the customer rates the answer. Rating my answer will NOT preclude you from asking follow up questions in the future, should any arise. In fact, if you rate my answer, your follow up questions will be my highest priority! If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to ask!

If you feel the need to click either "Bad service" or "Poor service", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be very happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek at no additional charge.

Thank you very much,