Brandon M.
Brandon M., Family Law Attorney
Experience:  Attorney experienced in all aspects of family law
11182422

I have a friend preparing for divorce and feels that her husband

I have a friend preparing for divorce and feels that her husband may have placed a GPS tracking device on her vehicle or that some type of eavesdropping device may have been planted in her vehicle. Is there a reliable device she can purchase to precisely locate this device? If not, how much would a Private Investigator charge to "sweep" her vehicle?

Brandon M. :

Hello there.

Brandon M. :

Thank you for your question. Can you see this?

Customer:

Yes.

Brandon M. :

Perfect.

Brandon M. :

I'd like to address the question about locating an eavesdropping device first. The short answer is "no", there is not a singular device that can be used.

Brandon M. :

...used to locate a GPS trackng or eavesdropping device. There is different technology available to find different devices for tracking/monitoring, but each works in different ways. A true "sweep" requires finding all available technologies that might be in use.

Brandon M. :

But it also depends on the sophistication of the person who is engaged in the monitoring. Do we have any particular reason to believe that your friend's husband is particularly technologically adept at monitoring or tracking her?

Customer:

No. He would have had to have hired a PI. He is not tech savy.

Brandon M. :

Part of the challenge is that there is software available that can perform eavesdropping and GPS tracking functions. It's possible, for example, to install malicious software on a smart phone that records all calls and uses the phone itself as a GPS tracker. The search for a physical device in that situation would prove to be fruitless. So your friend has to decide for herself what her level of vulnerability might realistically be.

Brandon M. :

I can't recommend purchasing a device. Your instinct is correct. They can locate certain devices, but not others that perform the same function using a different technology.

Brandon M. :

In that context, if your friend believes that she is being tracked in this way, your friend really would need to consult with someone like a private investigator who has the technology and savvy to know the dangers are and how to find them.

Brandon M. :

The cost is going to vary and it is also going to be negotiable in many cases, so I can't recommend hiring someone without shopping around. If you're wondering how you can help your friend in this situation, help her negotiate a fair price. Typically, you can expect to pay around $100-$200 per hour. The time to sweep depends on how in-depth the search is (again, this should be discussed prior to the commencement of services).

Brandon M. :

I'm sorry that your friend is in this situation. Does she have any specific reason to believe that she's being monitored?

Customer:

She's pretty sure that she has been followed and a "gut" instinct after 18 years of marriage. Her husband is distrustful.

Brandon M. :

Typically, tracking or eavesdropping would include a physical device only. A through physical search of a vehicle and phone would usually take 4-6 hours.

Customer:

Phone would probably not be an issue. She keeps it password XXXXX and always with her; it is never out of her sight. So what is the best way to go about hiring a PI? Just look in the phonebook, or is there a referral service to make sure you are getting a legitimate PI that knows what he/she is doing?

Brandon M. :

Well, I would start by recommending that anyone with whom you work is licensed as a private investigator. When you find someone with whom you might want to work, you can check their license status with the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division (SLED): http://www.sled.sc.gov/

Most P.I.s are not technologically equipped to perform a thorough sweep and it's actually considered a niche market, so you're welcome to check the phone book, but the best place to look is actually online. If they have the means to do the search, if they're a licensed P.I., and if they can give you referrals, that is the best assurance that you can receive that they will do the job right.

Brandon M. :

excuse me, I meant to say "if they can give you references", not "if they can give you referrals". I apologize for any confusion.

Customer:

Ok. Thank you, Brandon! May I copy and paste this chat so I can send to my friend in an email?

Brandon M. :

Of course.

Brandon M. :

Licensed P.I.s have to have at least 6,000 hours of P.I. work experience before being licensed, and that usually comes from work with law enforcement. Most of them are pretty honest.

Brandon M. :

You can also save the webpage address and return at any time to view this conversation: http://www.justanswer.com/family-law/7wi4n-friend-preparing-divorce-feels-husband.html

Brandon M. :

You would just need to log back in to view the full conversation.

Brandon M. :

Did you have any other question?

Customer:

No that is all. Thank you again for your time.

Brandon M. :

It was my pleasure. Take care, and please feel free to leave a positive rating once you are completely finished (I work for ratings). Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX a good night.

Customer:

I certainly will! Have a good night.