stevexo, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  30 years helping those with Family legal needs

my ex husband lives in Georgia and I live In Michigan. I was

my ex husband lives in Georgia and I live In Michigan. I was awarded alimony for 5 years from a 20 year marriage. He paid for one year and has not sent a check for 7 months. What can be done about this?
31 years of family law litigation. Understanding of your concerns,and a good legal knowledge base. What state is the final judgment of divorce out of?Thanks, Steve
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is your attorney in Georgia or Michigan, and which state are you trying to enforce this in? Thanks, Steve
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Attorney is in Georgia . I tried to get a lawyer from Michigan and was told that it had to be handled in the state the divorce was in.

Well thanks for the answers. This is really a simplistic matter. All the attorney in Georgia needs to do is file a simple motion for contempt against your ex, if his failure to pay is willful. What I mean by willful is that he has the funds, but refuses to pay.Once he gets a court order that he is in arrears as to the alimony, he can then move the court to turn it into a judgment. Once you have a judgment you can have the sheriff execute on it by taking whatever assets he owns that can satisfy the debt. Also if you desire you could do this in Michigan. In order to do that you would need to have a motion filed to domesticate the document as a Michigan decree,and then you can enforce it from where you live. The quickest route would be Georgia, and I would ask your attorney why it is taking so long to file such a simple motion. And yes once it is turned into a judgment it could be taken out of his paycheck. Good Luck, Steve
Thanks so much for the bonus! It has been a pleasure working with you! In the future if you would like me to personally answer your questions, to can ask for me by my screen name, Stevexo, and it will go directly to me. Sincerely, Steve