mmdesq
mmdesq, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 13 years experience.
30969554

My husband has been suspended from work for sexual harassment.

My husband has been suspended from work for sexual harassment. I work part time at this same company. I had asked him to leave the house a week ago. Before this happened I had planned on taking our two children to their grandparents out of state. I do not plan to reconcile. I have two questions; will it hurt me legally to let him stay at the house while we are out of town? Should I continue to work remotely part time at this same company? I feel humiliated but have concerns about being able to get a loan in the future after a divorce.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  mmdesq replied 1 year ago.

mmdesq :

Good Morning:

mmdesq :

1. Yes, it could hurt you to leave house.

Customer:

How?

mmdesq :

2. If you intend to retain home it could be a more difficult once you have left. You also dont know what he will do, ie. change locks and move all your things out or worse not give you your a portion of the possession or the children's belongings.

Customer:

What if I have in writing that he will vacate the house upon our return?

Customer:

What about my part time job?

mmdesq :

3. You should retain your employment until you find new employment. You are not responsible for his actions and should not feel ashamed for his behavior.

mmdesq :

4. If he states in writing he will vacate it would improve your position, but it in not a court order and therefore not a guaranty he will follow it.

mmdesq :

Your most important issue now is finances and keeping that job.

mmdesq :

You should also file for child and APL/Child Support immediately.

Customer:

How do I file, do I need a lawyer ASAP?

mmdesq :

You should also file for child support and APL/Spousal support immediately.

Customer:

What is APL?

mmdesq :

It is permitted to file for support on your own but I would recommend hiring an attorney.

mmdesq :

APL stands for Alimony Pendente Lite.

Customer:

anything else I should know or do?

mmdesq :

It is a temporary form of alimony that is in place during the pendency of the divorce. It is 30% of the difference between your salaries after he pays child support.

Customer:

It was agreed that I would take care of the household in order that he could work, ie 70 hours a weekd

mmdesq :

You also want him to find new employment as soon as possible see he can contribute financially.

Customer:

Thank you

mmdesq :

Go through Domestic Relations for support you dont want to do a private agreement even if it is for the same amount.

mmdesq :

Good Luck. Hope this helps.

mmdesq, Family Law Attorney
Experience: Attorney with 13 years experience.