Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

My 16 year old grand daughter wants to live with us; her maternal

My 16 year old grand daughter wants to live with us; her maternal grandparents. She's been having trouble with her mom for a number of reasons. These problems have been on going for years. My daughter is married to a man, not my 16 year olds father, they have 4 children together they make the 16 yr old watch and take care of the kids all the time even when they are home. They ground her and take away her phone if she even ask why and they have made her miss school to watch the kids. Last year they made her miss so much that the school was going to fail her. They are verbally abusive to her and They have started hitting her if she trys to stand up for her self. She has finally had enough and ask us to please help her. Does she have the right to choose to live with us.
Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. Kindly use CONTINUE or REPLY button to ask for clarification or follow-up questions.

Response: I am sorry for your granddaughter's difficulties. Regrettably, she does not have a right to live with you without a Court Order or consent of her parent(s). You need to petition for Legal Guardianship and request that the Court appoint you her Guardian for the reasons that you stated in your post here. Once appointed, you would have formal custody of her and she can live with you. As a teenager, she can support your Petition for Guardianship.

Click on the link below for complete Guardianship of Minor forms and instructions:

http://www.azcourts.gov/selfservicecenter/SelfServiceForms/FilingforMinorGuardianship.aspx