Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

Ive been contacted by my ex wifes daughter who was conceived

I've been contacted by my ex wife's daughter who was conceived before our divorce was final back in 1985. She wants to know if I'm her father with a DNA test. Are there any legal ramifications if I am her father? Can I be held financially responsible for anything at this point? She was given up for adoption as an infant and I had to sign the papers since I was still married to her mother at the time of conception. Her mother testified under oath at the divorce hearing that I was not the father. I currently live in WI where she was born and she lives in MN.
Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. Kindly use CONTINUE or REPLY button to ask for clarification or follow-up questions.

I've been contacted by my ex wife's daughter who was conceived before our divorce was final back in 1985. She wants to know if I'm her father with a DNA test. Are there any legal ramifications if I am her father?

Response 1: None since she has been adopted and more importantly the issue of paternity was resolved during your divorce proceeding.

Can I be held financially responsible for anything at this point?

Response 2: No.

She was given up for adoption as an infant and I had to sign the papers since I was still married to her mother at the time of conception. Her mother testified under oath at the divorce hearing that I was not the father. I currently live in WI where she was born and she lives in MN.

Response 3: You are not financially responsible for her. You are also not under any legal obligation to honor her request for a DNA test.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for the info, I feel better about doing the test now. Just need to know for sure.

You are quite Welcome!

All the best