Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

my daughter has a new born baby...she let the father move in

my daughter has a new born baby...she let the father move in with her while she was pregnant...they argue frequently...about a week ago it escalated and he blocked her from leaving and taking the baby with her...they both got physical...my daughter finally call the police in an effort to get him to leave ( she has asked him to leave before) He was arrested because she had bruises and evidence of him being rough with her...We moved his things out of the home to his mothers...she was denied a restraining order because the judge felt it was mutual....and now CPS has come to her home saying that she is being charged with emotional abuse...because the baby and her 9 year old son was present at the time of the argument....what should she do?
Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. Kindly use CONTINUE or REPLY button to ask for clarification or follow-up questions.

Response: Get a local family Attorney that handles custody and CPS cases to assist her with dealing with CPS and to protect her rights, to ensure that CPS does not use the alleged charge of emotional abuse to take the kids away from her. In the meantime, she has no legal obligation to tell CPS anything. So, CPS cannot force her to rehash her abuse at the hand of the father. She should not say anything else to CPS without an Attorney present.

You can use the following sites to find local Attorneys that handle CPS and custody issues:

http://www.lawyers.com

http://www.justia.com